STEM Classes offered at Dartmouth during school year
Exploratory classes for 7th and 8th graders
Meet the Teachers Tracy Brown and Carol Chiu
PLTW - Design and Modeling (7th and 8th grade)
- Students apply the design process to solve problems and understand the influence of creativity and innovation in their lives. Students will use Tinkercad and OnShape design software to create 3D and 2D models of their design, and depending on the project, they can 3D print them. Students will all work on a culminating individual client design project to help another person.
PLTW - Automation and Robotics (8th grade)
- Students trace the history, development, and influence of automation and robotics as they learn about mechanical systems, energy transfer, machine automation, and computer control systems. Students use the VEX Robotics® V5 platform to design, build, and program real-world objects such as toll booths, elevators, and cars.
PLTW - Introduction to Computer Engineering (7th and 8th graders)
- According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 11 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. In this class, students discover the principles of this fast-growing field by focusing on creativity and an iterative design process as they program in Python. Students will also use block coding to program virtual robots using Vex code.
PLTW - Flight and Space (8th grade)
- Students explore the history and science behind aeronautics. They use their knowledge and the engineering design process to design, build, and test a variety of model aircraft. They also research the current state of space exploration and plan a visit to another location in our solar system using current technology.
PLTW - Green Architecture (8th grade)
- Students learn how to apply the concept of “green” choices to the fields of architecture and construction by exploring dimensioning, measuring, and architectural sustainability as they design affordable housing units using Autodesk’s® 3D architectural design software, Revit.
PLTW - Energy and the Environment (7th grade)
- Energy & the Environment is a Project Lead the Way class which introduces students to the scientific concept of energy. The class then goes into depth on how humans generate electricity and the ways in which we utilize the electricity for our needs and comfort. The different modes of electricity generation are then analyzed for their pros and cons. In this class students will be involved in many hands on activities.
Gen 7 STEM Building (Rooms 901 to 904)